Bang Pa-In Palace This palace is located in Tambon Bang Len, Amphoe Bang Pa - In, 18 kilometers south of Ayutthaya. It lies 58 kilometers north of Bangkok by rail, 61 kilometers by road. To access to Bang Pa-In from Ayutthaya, one can go by Phahonyothin Road and make a right turn at Km.35 for another distance of 7 kilometers to Bang Pa-In Palace.
The palace is open to the public everyday from 08.30 - 16.30 hrs. (Admission Fee is 50 Baht)
For more information Tel.224-3273 or (035) 261 - 044.
riginally, Bang Pa-In was a riverine island. When Prasat Thong became the Ayutthaya king (1630 - 1655), he had the Chumphon Nikayaram Temple built on his family estate. Later, he had a palace built on a lake in the middle of the island where he could periodically reside.
The palace, surrounded by a lake 400 meters long and 40 meters wide, and the Chumphon Kikarayam temple, are all that remain of King Prasat Thong's construction work at Bang Pa-In.
Bang Pa-In was used as a country residence by every Ayutthaya monarch after King Prasat Thong. But when the new capital was established in Bangkok. Bang Pa-In ceased to be used and was left unoccupied for 80 years. It was only during King Mongkut’s reign (1851-1868) that Bang Pa-In was again visited by kings. King Mongkut stayed there and had a house built in the old palace’s compound.
His son, King Chulalongkorn (1868-1910) liked the place, stayed there every year and constructed the royal palace as it is now seen today. Important buildings inside the palace compound are: